On Thu 20 Sep 2012 13:59:52 Andrey Rahmatullin escribió:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 05:34:36PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> >   So I finally managed to get my C++ symbols file generated. However
> >
> > before shooting myself in the foot, I'd like to know if I need to
> > generate the symbol file using -fvisibility=hidden or not ?
>
> Theoretically, it is much better to export only those symbols you (as the
> upstream) actually intend to. Benefits vary from shortening the exports
> table to clearly defining the ABI. But if you do that incorrectly,
> problems may arise, so it may be better to not do that, especially if you
> are not the upstream.

On the other side, in the pkg-kde team we do use fvisibility=hidden.
Yes, upstream may have an error. But normally in those cases means missing
symbols and stuff that depend on your lib will FTBFS, so it's quite easy to
check.

Adding a symbol later is much easier than removing one (which normally means a
soname change).

P.S.: I am not *very* knowledgeable about this, so if anyone feels that I0m
missing something do not heasitate in fixing it ;)

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
"Los pibes no piden que levantemos un muro para que tengan un límite,
sino que los ayudemos a crecer en libertad."

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/