Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.star...@gmail.com> writes:
> Michael Gilbert <mgilb...@debian.org> wrote:

>> If, as Bart has found, such mistakes are quite rare, then why worry so
>> much?  We don't need new formal processes for rarely occurring social
>> problems.  We need more people willing to help those that make social
>> mistakes to learn and improve themselves.

> It's not that too many people are making mistakes. It's that too many
> people don't take any action out of fear of making the mistake in the
> first place. That's why we need a well defined process (or to at least
> codify the status quo more clearly).

Yes, exactly.

I don't want to be trusted to orphan packages on my own, and I've been a
DD for years.  It's too much pressure!  And as a result, I basically never
do it.  One of the huge advantages of somewhat more formal systems is that
they remove the feeling of personal responsibility and provide some sort
of system that can deal with issues, which can make the whole thing feel
much more comfortable for everyone involved.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>