On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:49:03AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> [...]
> |While it is sad that those machines cannot profit from systemd, switching
> |to systemd as a default has no downside either: Debian continues to
> |support sysvinit for quite some time, so these machines will continue
> |to work even with upcoming Debian versions.
>
> I doubt this will happen. Once systemd is the default on Deban/GNU
> Linux, people will stop testing their init scripts, or they will even
> stop shipping init scripts, leaving the task of writing or testing
> init scripts to the non-Linux porters, which will of course decrease
> their quality since init scripts should be written and tested by
> people knowing the initted software very intimately.

Bitrot doesn't happen immediately, and even when it does happen, it will take
time before its rate reaches an unmanageable state. Plenty of time to test a
solution in the meantime I say. Basic autogeneration of sysvinit and upstart
init scripts from systemd unit files perhaps?

Also, I don't think it takes that much to come up with a sane initscript for
your regular daemon. Just program options, environment variables, pidfile,
setuid user, and dependencies? The simplest root-run daemons might not even need
any of those.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin