On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:09:10PM +0400, Vitaliy Filippov wrote:
> I.e. for example, systemd-journal looks like the most bloated part
> of systemd to me, with its binary log format, QR codes and built-in
> HTTP server - so maybe it could be disabled via a patch? Or even
> packaged separately so you can choose whether to install it? Is
> anyone familiar with systemd code - does it look possible and/or
> simple task to you?

QR codes is optional
Built-in HTTP server is optional

Binary logging - yeah, it logs stuff. Calling logging functionality in a
program which is meant to log things is a bit much.

You cannot separate it, if you look at status output of a service it'll
use the journal to give you useful output. Splitting things has
sideeffects. If the gain is uncertain of vague ("I don't like it" /
"UNIX philosophy"), then IMO time to trust the package maintainer.

--
Regards,
Olav