On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 03:39:49PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> I am telling you that by all the technical discussions which of
> the systems is superior over the other you forget about your users.

Our users shouldn't care what init system we use. It's an
implementation -- and purely technical -- detail of the OS.

> My estimation is that 99% of the users dont care - sysvinit is
> sufficient and works.

You're right they don't care, but I don't think it's sufficient or that
it works as a long-term solution. Bringing in a correct / modern init
system is vital.

Not just for the speedup at startup (which, for the record, matters a
lot to users, which sysvinit can't quite manage, also, systemd is only
fast because it's correct, not because it was designed to be fast)

> 0.5% think they need this little tiny bit
> of feature which only upstart can give them, 0.5% think they need
> a feature only systemd can give them.
>
> By following either of the 0.5% "majority" you piss off
> 50% because their beloved sysvinit which has been doing
> what it should for decades is gone.

These numbers seem off to me. Can I see the poll that was conducted?

> And i think i made the point that the voice who said "fork debian"
> is just telling you in their way that Debian has lost another supporter.

We've managed when we've lost users over other technical decisions, but
they've been worth it in the past, and we net gain users due to the
technical win in the core of the OS.

> Debian - The Universal operating system whose priority are their users?

I don't understand the question.

> The systemd issue has gone out of proportion by far - Its a technical
> issue which is getting debated over a lot.

Technically, it's a no-contest between sysvinit and systemd. As for
systemd vs upstart vs openrc, that's open to debate. Each of those init
systems outclass sysvinit straight.

> But i think the systemd
> proponents have made a much broader issue from it which is now about
> trust, choice, and taste. You cant win here.

If you don't trust Debian, don't use it.
If you don't like the choice, change it.
If you don't like the taste, add salt.

> Flo
> PS: I talking about Debian as "you" because i dont feel beeing part
> of Debian anymore.
> --
> Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paul...@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87