On 02/12/2014 04:10 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Wasn't there some plan to have OpenRC look for its "runscripts" in a
> parallel directory alongside init.d as well as in init.d itself, and
> treat /etc/openrc-init.d/foo (or whatever) as a replacement for
> /etc/init.d/foo? Then you could just say "OpenRC runscripts go in
> /etc/openrc-init.d, LSB-style init scripts[1] go in /etc/init.d" and
> everything Just Works.

This is currently just an idea, but it's not implemented (and nobody has
yet stated intention to start implementing this). I honestly believe it
wouldn't be more than a few lines of C code (it doesn't seem hard to
change a loading path, right? hum... I'm sure it will be different when
looking at the actual code! :)), so it doesn't have my focus right away now.

> If you're keen on using OpenRC, I would strongly recommend that
> approach. systemd ignores /etc/init.d/foo if it finds a corresponding
> foo.service in its own directory, and that feature has made it easy to
> add systemd units (.service files) per-package without needing much
> special coordination. Upstart doesn't do that (/etc/init.d/foo has to be
> patched to not do anything if it detects that init is Upstart and
> /etc/init/foo.conf exists) which has given it much more complicated
> Policy implications.
>
> If LSB-style init scripts disappear completely after jessie, OpenRC
> runscripts could in principle move to /etc/init.d at that point,
> although I don't really see much benefit in that.

> [1] i.e. the ones that work equally well (or equally badly, depending
>     on your point of view) with sysv-rc, file-rc, insserv, Upstart,
>     systemd, OpenRC etc.

Probably you are right and I should review my priorities! :)

Thomas