On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 01:17:08PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 12:10 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:39:06AM +0200, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> > > Login in Gnome once, activate wifi and ask that the connection should be
> > > used by
> > > all users.
> > > Then NM will save the password some were so that it connect without user
> > > login.
> > Right... so you say non-Gnome users should keep a Gnome installation just to
> > enter the wifi password, and log out+log in to Gnome whenever they visit a
> > new place (which on a laptop means, quite often) then log out+log in back to
> > their regular environment?  I think I'll pass.
> [...]
>
> You already have passed.  Please stop spreading FUD about a program you
> don't use and don't really know the state of.

The original report from Britton Kerin doesn't look like FUD, what Vincent
Bernat just confirmed and diagnosed: that the password UI is currently broken.
Thus, I think my recommendation of trying wicd was helpful.

Unlike network admins I work with (and who foam on the mouths at the words
Network-Manager) I see it does have its uses: it can do a lot more than
wicd.  Instead of just wifi like wicd, it can do pppoe and a bunch of simple
VPN setups.

It also gets improvements.  For example, all the years until and including
jessie, it kept dropping configuration from usb0 interfaces every 30 seconds
or so, even when explicitely told to leave it alone (the interface remained
up but NM kept removing all IP addresses, etc).  It took a while but this
bug is finally fixed.

But it's not without problems.  The one Britton met is that NM's interface
is closely married to Gnome.  Yes, you can use nm-cli but it's nowhere near
pretty, so on a laptop or a phone you want a GUI.  Wicd's GUI works, NM's
does not (at least currently or without extra messing).

The second is, NM interferes with any complex setup.  In newer versions, you
can now semi-reliable tell it to stay away from your interfaces, but then,
if you disable it on all interfaces, why do you even have it installed?

That's not an exhaustive list, I indeed hardly ever deal with setups that
would benefit from NM so I rarely look at it.

But, how is mentioning an alternative and/or recommending to try one FUD?

Meow!
--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.