Christian Seiler writes ("Re: use long keyid-format in gpg.conf (Re: Key
collisions in the wild"):
> On 08/10/2016 03:19 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Well, I'd argue that 64bit IDs are not safe either, they have not been
> > made to be.
>
> Can we even consider key fingerprints safe in the long run? AIUI they
> are SHA1 hashes of the public key, and while there isn't a feasible
> preimage attack on SHA1 _yet_ (and we shouldn't panic), there's a
> reason why SHA1 is discouraged by experts.

This is precisely the kind of point I was thinking of when I wrote:

  Even if long keyids are not sufficient, they are a big improvement and
  we should not let fixing this problem properly stand in the way of
  doing what we can, now.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.