* Bálint Réczey <bal...@balintreczey.hu>, 2016-09-12, 13:21:
Reading up on the subject so far, I got the impression that most static libraries should be built with PIE, but not necessarily PIC (to allow building PIE(xecutable)s, but discourage creating shared libraries from those static ones.)

How does it discourage creating shlibs?

Also, is there a reliable way for a static checker (such as Lintian) to distinguish between -fPIC and -fPIE static libraries?

I don't see why should not we encourage using static libs in shared libs and recommending PIC would also simplify the currently mandated build process:

Meh, this complexity lies in upstream build system most of the time.

--
Jakub Wilk