On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 06:12:04PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:12:51AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 04:58:04PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > > I know that this does create some problems for us, e.g. on the security
> > > side, but the alternative is, as you mentioned, manually installed
> > > software and that surely is worse.
> >
> > No, I think it's better if people know they're on their own for maintaining
> > something. What's surely worse is when we ship stuff that we know we can't
> > properly maintain in the long term. Better to be out of the archive than in
> > without the expected level of quality.
>
> Who said we cannot properly maintain this stuff? And where do you think our
> expected level of quality (whatever that is) will not be reached?

In the year 2018, any kind of "properly maintain" includes security support.

Please elaborate how Debian can provide security support for packages
like gitlab and all their dependencies in buster until mid-2022.

If Debian cannot provide security support for the lifetime of a stable
Debian release, it is better for our users when they are installing the
software from upstream with the security support provided by upstream.

> Michael

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.