On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:48 PM Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Have there been any cases where those files have been in the
> upstream VCS ? I don't recall any such case.

I assume most of the rejects from NEW would have this issue.

> For the case where certain parts shouldn't be built/shipped due to
> policy, this can - and IMHO should - be handled with changes within
> the VCS, instead of having tarballs laying around w/o any clear
> history and no indication how exactly it was created from upstream.

See Files-Excluded in Debian policy.

> Actually, since about a decade, I'm not doing any code changes outside
> git, and I'm building packages only directly from git. Frankly, I don't
> see any reason why that can't be the standard case.

The world is much less simple than that. There are people who don't
use version control systems, there are people who don't use git, there
are people who use version control systems that git cannot interface
with and there are people who invent new version control systems that
are meant to be better than git.

--
bye,
pabs