Simon McVittie wrote:

| Back when the release team decided on a per-release basis whether
| this was a "major" or "minor" release, we had the excuse that we had
| to use a codename for testing because we didn't know whether etch
| would be released as Debian 3.2 or Debian 4.0

I was around at the time and I have a vague recollection which roughly
matches Simon's.  This reason no longer applies, of course.

I regularly make mistakes about the sort order of these codenames.

I agree with the rest of Andreas's message.

>  Please leave testing as a name

As I said, I see no reason why [[old]old]stable and unstable need to
be abolished as names.  They will still be useful in conversation,
even if they were never very useful in apt soruces.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.