On 2020-02-05 08:12, Michael Biebl wrote:
journald has matured of the years and journalctl has become more
sophisticated with dealing with broken journal files, so I would be very
much interested in your experience with more recent systemd versions.

Not quite the same issue, but I will note that journalctl's (and also systemctl status') performance reading journal files is still pretty awful on spinning rust[1]. At times this makes me go to text logs instead because slicing the files using tail and grep is much, much faster.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] I think this is pretty much https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2460