On 2/4/20 8:30 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Dmitry Smirnov <only...@debian.org> writes:
>> On Saturday, 1 February 2020 2:05:55 PM AEDT Michael Biebl wrote:
>
>>> Depending on how it goes, I might ask the ftp-masters to lower the
>>> priority of rsyslog from important to optional, so it would no longer
>>> be installed by default on new bullseye installations.
>
>> I have a mixed feelings about that. I think that replacing rsyslog with
>> journald is two steps back in regards to functionality and flexibility.
>
>> Rsyslog in unparalleled with its ability to process and filter messages
>> (rainerscript), to transform messages (liblognorm), to forward messages
>> to Elasticsearch or centralise Rsyslog instance, _reliably_ (relp), to
>> buffer message queue on disk in case communication is disrupted, etc.
>
> I completely agree with this assessment of the quality of rsyslog
> features, but I'm not sure that's the right criteria to be considering for
> the choice of the *default*.  I'm fairly certain that 95% or more of
> installed Debian systems never used any of those features, as nice as they
> are.
>
> The goal of the default is not to provide in latent form every excellent
> feature that anyone may want to use.  It's to provide a hopefully simple,
> reliable, functional, and light-weight implementation of a facility that
> serves as a reasonable default for most systems.  Anyone with other needs
> or preferences is very likely to replace or supplement that implementation
> with something else, similar to how I replace exim4 with postfix on all of
> my systems.

I'm ok with this reasoning, however, rsyslogd is also a reasonable
default, and I don't see why it wouldn't be good for the general use
also. The main problem with journald is that it can't keep-up with too
much syslog traffic and doesn't scale. I'd very much prefer if our
default was a solution that works on *all* cases, rather than just the
one for a specific target.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)