On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 08:04:01PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Saturday, March 14, 2020 6:37:46 PM EDT Martin wrote:
> > On 2020-03-14 13:37, Sean Whitton wrote:
> > >     (packages in NEW must not be downloaded from ftp-master.d.o to your
> > >     local machine)
> >
> > Just curious: Why is that the case?
>
> Out of an abundance of caution.  Until after the package has been reviewed,
> there's no knowing if it's distributable and downloading a package from ftp-
> master.d.o to another machine outside debian.org is a distrubution.

Ok then.  Instead of a place accessible to a single digit of trusted people
that's write-only to a thousand of well-wetted people, I'll grab the package
from public git, on project machines.

I'm also personally on the path used to submit uploads by contributors least
likely to get copyright correctly (ie, project non members), with packages
going first to the mentors repository, which has no access controls beyond
being able to follow simple instructions about gpg.

This "abundance of caution" rule is utterly obsolete this millenium.  It
made some sense when distributing software was done by snail-mailing a
floppy or a stack of them.

Even REJECTed packages would be good to keep -- for diffing with a new
version.

> > >   - cope well with flames in response to your decisions
> >
> > Flames equal emotional expression of frustration or
> > flames equal inappropriate swearing at volunteers?
>
> Yes.

:)

You could've been a bit more informative by saying "and". :)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ in the beginning was the boot and root floppies and they were good.