❦ 12 August 2021 10:39 +05, Andrey Rahmatullin:

>> I just ran across this article
>> https://blog.ikuamike.io/posts/2021/package_managers_privesc/ I tested
>> the attacks on Debian 11 and they work successfully giving me a root
>> shell prompt.
> I don't think calling this "privilege escalation" or "attack" is correct.
> The premise of the post is "the user should not be a root/admin user but
> has been assigned sudo permissions to run the package manager" and one
> doesn't really need a long article to prove that it's not secure.

I think the article is interesting nonetheless. Some people may think
that granting sudo on apt is OK. In the past, I think "apt install
./something.deb" was not possible.

I give myself password less sudo to "apt update" (without additional
options), "apt upgrade" (same), "apt full-upgrade" (same). I was
thinking this should be safe, but now I need to check if the pager is
properly restricted when displaying NEWS file. A similar
"vulnerability" was fixed in systemd:

 - https://gtfobins.github.io/gtfobins/systemctl/
 -
https://github.com/keszybz/systemd/commit/612ebf6c913dd0e4197c44909cb3157f5c51a2f0

Maybe it would be worth to also set LESSSECURE (less is not the default
pager on minimal installs but I think it is the most common, more cannot
be secured this way).
--
Use data arrays to avoid repetitive control sequences.