On Thu, 2 Dec 2021, 23:17 Paul Wise, <p...@debian.org> wrote:

> At minimum we would need a way to map from release-monitoring.org
> package names to Debian source package names. Assuming they use Fedora
> source package names, then the Repology service provides such a mapping
> and we could presumably could get a periodic export of that.

If I understand correctly, release-monitoring already offers such a mapping
[1].

> I see using Repology as a complement to release-monitoring.org and
> uscan, not as an alternative to them. It enables use-cases that aren't
> possible with the other two. We automatically get version monitoring
> for packages that don't have other version monitoring mechanisms. We
> get monitoring of whether or not a particular package needs updating to
> a VCS snapshot instead of waiting for an official release. We get
> monitoring of versions even when upstream has moved to a different
> location not monitored by other mechanisms. There are probably other
> use-cases I can't think of right now.

Hm, I can't really think of an example where such a thing couldn't also be
implemented in release-monitoring.org.

> > Yes that makes sense, what I wonder is how much change is needed for
> > putting watch files in a separate repo compared to going with
> > release-monitoring.org (I don't know enough about the inner workings
> > of our tools to answer this question).
>
> For the VCS idea it would be minimal, just vcswatch needs to also pull
> debian/watch files out of VCS repos with commits not yet pushed to
> Debian and then the version checking infra (zero idea where that went)
> needs to pay attention to that data.

Oh right, that actually sounds pretty smart.

> For fully moving debian/watch (and Homepage) out of Debian source
> packages there would need to be a lot more work, probably migrating to
> release-monitoring.org would be the way to go.

Just one quick idea I had: what about a "fake" uscan backend? I.e.
something like `Version: release-monitoring.org` in d/watch. In that case
uscan will launch an external program that fetches the data from there and
gives it back to uscan, so that other tools stay unaffected until a full
transition is done.

In case there are others interested in this approach, I would be down to do
some coding (when I find time).

Regards,
Stephan

[1]