Hi,

On 2022-05-04 18:21, Bill Allombert wrote:
I plan to add support for 'XB-Popcon-Reports: no' to popularity-contest.
This allows to build packages with private names that will not be
reported to popcon, by adding 'XB-Popcon-Reports: no' to debian/control.
This must not used by packages in the debian archive, however that can
be used by packages generators that create packages with randomly
generated names (package names that include 128bit uuid for examples)
or by organizations that generates packages for internal use
whose name include the organization name.

The rationale is that the only info really leaked is the package name,
so it only make sense to hide a package if every system that have it
installed are also hiding it, so it is better to make it a property
of the package than of the system.

I like the idea, especially for organizations who know what they are doing[1]. I just fear that it won't actually solve your denylisting problem at hand. People will keep not specifying it. Can't popcon go and just accept reports for packages in the archive somehow?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] Although most might disable popcon anyway.