I'm looking into converting some of my upstream packages to use Google's
bazel build system, because it makes life much easier as a developer.

Unfortunately, with my other hat on, it makes life much harder as a package
maintainer: bazel is very keen on downloading source packages and then
building them locally, resulting in a mostly-statically-linked executable.
protobuf is the most obvious culprit here, because if you do *anything*
with Google's ecosystem you inevitably end up using protobufs, and as soon
as you refer to a cc_proto_library rule in bazel you get a statically
linked libprotobuf.

Are there any known best practices yet in Debian on how to persuade bazel
*not* to do this, and to use the system one instead?