On 9/16/23 07:01, Hideki Yamane wrote:
* So, if we change {data,control}.tar file format in .deb from xz to zst,
   we can reduce package installation time than ever since less decompression
   time. It saves our lifetime a bit :)

* Downside: package file size is a bit larger than now, but enough bandwidth
   will ease it for download time
   - Not sure how repository size will be, need an experiment

Hi,

I'm not sure if we should switch to zstd, or if xz will do the work, though I'd be delighted if the dpkg performances could be improved. I'm spending all of my days installing server, sometimes with 1.5 TB of RAM and 128 core (AMD Epyc...), on last gen NVMe, using a local mirror, it's really painful to see how slow the debootstrap process is, compared to what it could be. Unpacking multiple .deb at the same time seems a very good idea to me, as well as parallelizing everything we can.

Just my 2 cents, as I wont be working on this,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)