Hi,

Quoting Thomas Goirand (2023-09-19 09:50:45)
> I'm not sure if we should switch to zstd, or if xz will do the work, though
> I'd be delighted if the dpkg performances could be improved. I'm spending all
> of my days installing server, sometimes with 1.5 TB of RAM and 128 core (AMD
> Epyc...), on last gen NVMe, using a local mirror, it's really painful to see
> how slow the debootstrap process is, compared to what it could be. Unpacking
> multiple .deb at the same time seems a very good idea to me, as well as
> parallelizing everything we can.

I was about to say that zdebootstrap by Adam Borowski used to be a thing four
years ago but now I see another commit from two days ago so maybe it's still
alive and usable?

https://git.sr.ht/~kilobyte/zdebootstrap

There is also my package mmdebstrap which gives you a Debian chroot a few times
faster than debootstrap does. Here are some benchmarks from my laptop:

    | variant   | mmdebstrap | debootstrap  |
    | essential | 9.52 s     | n.a          |
    | apt       | 10.98 s    | n.a          |
    | minbase   | 13.54 s    | 26.37 s      |
    | buildd    | 21.31 s    | 34.85 s      |
    | standard  | 23.01 s    | 48.83 s      |

Depending on your use-case you might be interested in the essential or apt
variants which are even faster because they install less stuff than "minbase".

Thanks!

cheers, josch