Similarly, I’m following the thread for a couple of days now, and wondering
about its implications.

When I consider server scenarios, pushing /tmp to RAM looks highly undesirable
from my perspective. All the servers I manage use their whole RAMs and using
the unused space as a disk cache is far more desirable than a /tmp mount. When
servers are virtualized, RAM is at premium, and a disk cache is way more usable
rather than /tmp in the RAM.

The other scenario I think is HPC, where applications use all the RAM
available, squeezing the hardware dry. Again, /tmp in the RAM is very
undesirable, because /tmp/$USER is also heavily used and an OOM situation
creates a lose-lose situation where you either delete runtime files, or lose
the executing job, which results in job failure in any case.

On the other hand, I personally use my desktop computer as a development
workstation and use tons of RAM either with software or with VMs. Again a /tmp
in RAM is an inferior scenario to my current setup.

The only useful state where /tmp is in RAM is single board computers where temp
is both lightly utilized and maximizing SD/eMMC life is important. These
systems even mount /var/log to a tmpfs and sync on boot/reboot/shutdown,
reducing flash wear.

Deleting /var/tmp has the same problems since long running tasks on the servers
might need a file once in a month, but it can be crucial for functions of the
software.

I can’t see any scenario where these two are useful in typical or niche
installations of Debian.

FWIW, RedHat family doesn’t mount /tmp as a tmpfs on its default installation.

Cheers,

H.