reopen 164868
thanks

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, GOTO Masanori wrote:

> At Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:00:24 +0200 (CEST),
> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > The dependency of locales on glibc-$DEBVERSION is harmful for
> > non-released architectures like the Hurd, since the only locales
> > package which exists (since there is not a testing disrtibution)
> > becomes uninstallable until the glibc package is recompiled.
>
> I don't know why hurd is the special case.
> Why do you just recompile them?

That's not the problem, the problem is that *while* it's not
recompiled yet, the locales package becomes *completely* uninstallable,
because the old version is not available anymore.

If you do not consider this a problem in libc, please reassign this
to the ftp.debian.org package so that they create a testing
distribution for all unreleased architectures, one that does not
remove old packages until the new ones become installable.

> > Such dependency should be on glibc-$VERSION at most.
> >
> > The reason glibc-$DEBVERSION was required in the past was that, at
> > some point, there were incompatible locales and libc packages having
> > the same VERSION but different DEBVERSION numbers. This was because
> > the maintainer was introducing new code from CVS without changing
> > the VERSION, which may be considered as a bad practice.
> >
> > So, I request that the dependency is changed again to a non-debversioned
> > one (like glibc-$VERSION) and the maintainer refrains from making
> > incompatible changes without changing $VERSION as well.
>
> Locales should depends on glibc-$DEBVERSION, because somethimes
> we apply the latest glibc cvs code in the same glibc-$VERSION
> (and count up glibc-$DEBVERSION) as you said.
>
> Locale handling is still active development area, so we can't
> ignore the difference of both localedata and locale handling code.
> Thus, I can't accept your request.

If you are going to keep a "="-type dependency, you should perhaps merge
both packages into a single one.