On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 04:30:17PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: getaddrinfo() behaviour"):
> > Limiting the TC's power to overrule a technical decision to only cases
> > where the TC believes that the wrong behaviour makes the package
> > unsuitable for release would eviscerate the only mechanism we have for
> > dealing with errors by maintainers.
> I should have said, for dealing with errors by maintainers which
> persist after persuasion has been tried.

Updating the proposed standard has not been tried. If it had, and failed,
and did so without addressing the concerns we've had with the current rfc,
it'd be appropriate for the tech ctte to rule -- we would have exhausted
all other means of obtaining a consensus, and it would be the last resort.

If there hadn't been a proposed standard in the first place documenting
the existing behaviour, I doubt we'd have a problem in the first place,
and there certainly wouldn't be an issue with us overruling the maintainer
if there somehow was.

The only reason suitability for release is relevant is in overriding the
directive that we'll "not make a technical decision until efforts to
resolve it via consensus have been tried and failed". We haven't made
efforts to get a consensus with the IETF working group and change the
standard that all this stems from, so making a decision before that's
happened requires further justification in my view.

I can't say I'd noticed much effort from the ctte to persuade the glibc
maintainers of anything, to be honest.

Cheers,
aj