Anthony Towns wrote:
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 04:30:17PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
Ian Jackson writes ("Re: getaddrinfo() behaviour"):
Limiting the TC's power to overrule a technical decision to only cases
where the TC believes that the wrong behaviour makes the package
unsuitable for release would eviscerate the only mechanism we have for
dealing with errors by maintainers.
I should have said, for dealing with errors by maintainers which
persist after persuasion has been tried.

Updating the proposed standard has not been tried. If it had, and failed,
and did so without addressing the concerns we've had with the current rfc,
it'd be appropriate for the tech ctte to rule -- we would have exhausted
all other means of obtaining a consensus, and it would be the last resort.

No! There is one or two updates for the proposed standard.
IIRC one is in the last phase, before to be published.
[But anyway they are about IPv6, and not rules 9]

To check: http://www.ietf.org/  put in the search 3484 and you see
a lot of discussions about updates

So it seems (IMHO) that RFC3484 is not mature to be (and become) a
Internet standard.

ciao
        cate