On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 02:45:41PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> I wonder if it'd make sense for libc to be a virtual package, with
> functionality provided by optimized builds and dependencies satisfied
> via Provides.  I don't know how well dpkg would cope with transitioning
> between providers, which seems like the riskiest side of this kind of
> thing.

What would happens if apt finds a dependency solution when installing or
updating packages that involves switching to a libc package that does
not run on your device?
There are situations where changing the libc package would be the only
possible solution of the dependencies.

IMHO there are far too many ways how such a virtual package solution
could brick devices.

> noah

cu
Adrian