Hi,

I apologize for the late answer. Please keep me in Cc:, I am not
subscribed.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:20:30PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Marc Haber:
> > I would appreciate pointers to documentation, personal opinions, war
> > stories, encoding tales, historic lectures, anything that might
> > enlighten me and help me build the knowlegde and understanding about
> > UNIX locales are supposed to work in Debian GNU/Linux. Thank you in
> > advance!
>
> For the charset normalization, it's in the manual:

<snip>

> This code dates back to the mid-90s, I think.

Took me 20+ years to finally notice.

> I general, I think it is best to treat locale names as opaque strings.

What is the recommended setting for the LANG and LC_ variables?
de-DE.UTF-8 or the normalized version?

> Parsing them to derive charsets is not going to work (e.g., no charset
> can mean ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8, depending on the age of the locale).  To
> get the charset of the current locale, you can use “locale -k charmap”,
> for example.  It corresponds to the glibc charmap name (of which there
> aren't too many).

So the recommended way is to just set LANG to the wanted value and then
look whether locale -k charmap will return the expected value? And
'charmap="ANSI_X3.4-1968"' is a telltale sign that I set LANG to a value
that isnt generated on the local system?

Greetings
Marc