On 24 January 2024 2:25:53 pm IST, Simon Josefsson <si...@josefsson.org> wrote:
>Definitely -- however I don't see how we can ever have confidence in
>uploads of core Go packages without building all reverse dependencies.
>
>If that building is on developer local laptops or via Salsa is not that
>different from a resources perspective.  The CPU usage needs to happen
>somewhere.
>
>Going via Salsa allows everyone to easily see the result and help
>resolve each issue, and to have higher confidence that we don't miss
>anything since it is automated.  For package failure rebuilt via 'ratt'
>only the developer see the results.
>
>Of course, reverse dependency builds on Salsa should only be done
>manually for critical packages and not automatically on every push.

IIRC, the salsa admins were unhappy with building reverse-depends via salsa CI
even for critical packages only during releases since it puts a significant
amount of load on the runners.

I guess someone (maybe Jeremy) tried to do a reverse-builds for nodejs and
salsa admins were not okay with the same. I don't think the situation is going
to change much with core go package with lots of revdeps either.