Thanks, you all were right, eventually I found the problem. The capacitor
fell down from the back of a memory module.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XM1flQz7lMotcmNZdnDozLOFDJeaf6v-rA  Now I
resoldered it and the system is working, here are the info:

rocky:/proc# uname -a
Linux rocky 2.6.26-2-parisc #1 Sun Mar 4 17:37:14 UTC 2012 parisc GNU/Linux
rocky:/proc# cat cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu family      : PA-RISC 2.0
cpu             : PA8700 (PCX-W2)
cpu MHz         : 875.000000
model           : 9000/785/C3750
model name      : Allegro W2
hversion        : 0x00005dc0
sversion        : 0x00000481
I-cache         : 768 KB
D-cache         : 1536 KB (WB, direct mapped)
ITLB entries    : 240
DTLB entries    : 240 - shared with ITLB
BTLB            : not supported
bogomips        : 1744.89
software id     : 2000777092

rocky:/proc# cat meminfo
MemTotal:      3627816 kB
MemFree:       3550872 kB
Buffers:          5468 kB
Cached:          40312 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          31052 kB
Inactive:        28252 kB
SwapTotal:      979956 kB
SwapFree:       979956 kB
Dirty:              36 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:       13540 kB
Mapped:          10552 kB
Slab:             5244 kB
SReclaimable:     2304 kB
SUnreclaim:       2940 kB
PageTables:        976 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
WritebackTmp:        0 kB
CommitLimit:   2793864 kB
Committed_AS:    91584 kB
VmallocTotal:   245728 kB
VmallocUsed:      3036 kB
VmallocChunk:   242108 kB
rocky:/proc#

I don't understand, though, why I see only 4 GB of memory while I actually
have 8. I guess I'll have to upgrade to the latest version but ... that's
another episode :-)

thanks everybody and best regards

Paolo