> This is what was installed from the Debian GNU/Hurd 2019 release. I
> simply downloaded the first CD and then fetched the rest over the net.

Yeah, I've tried and have the same error too. I don't know the problem but I
fixed it by downloading the Hurd from sources and compiling the lwip translator
myself. There must have been some problem while compiling the translator in the
release.

Try this:

apt-get install liblwip-dev build-essential fakeroot git
apt-get build-dep hurd
git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/hurd/hurd.git
cd hurd
autoreconf -i
cd ..
mkdir hurd-build
cd hurd-build
../hurd/configure --disable-profile
make lwip
cd lwip
settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 ./lwip and your parameters

Good luck, this is a "bit" more complicated :)