Hi!

On Sun, 2023-08-06 at 15:08 +0000, Pedro Miguel Justo wrote:
> ow much automation can be used for bisecting a problem on grub?
>
> My rx2660 is considerably up to date and still booting.
>
> What do you recommend for best bisecting the offending step?

You cannot automate this as the machine needs to be rebooted all the time.

Basically, you need to do the following:

# apt build-dep grub2
# git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git
# cd grub
# git bisect start
# git bisect good grub-2.06
# git bisect bad HEAD

Then build grub, install and testboot:

# ./bootstrap && ./configure && make && make install
# /usr/local/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda (when sda is your primary disk)

Reboot the machine and chose the "grub" boot entry, "debian" will be your
fallback entry in case you have run into the bug.

If the machine boot successfully using the "grub" boot entry in EFI, go back
into the "grub" source directory and run "git bisect good". Run "make clean"
and repeat the build and install step above.

If a boot fails, reset the machine, boot the "debian" entry and then go back
into the "grub" source directory and run "git bisect bad". Run "make clean"
and repeat the build and install step above.

Repeat this procedure until git shows you the offending commit.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer