Hi Ansgar,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:59:09AM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> I tried running `sign-file` manually and can reproduce the truncated
> file with Debian's production key.  I also tried signing the same key
> with a test key instead of the production key: then the signature is 256
> bytes long, just as with any other file...
>
> `strace -e write sign-file` reports only a single call to `write()`
> which writes the entire file in one go.  The return value also matches
> the number of bytes asked to be written in every case.

Cool, thanks for reproducing the issue! Just one question: when you say
production key, does that mean a hardware security module like Ben mentioned,
or can you reproduce this with a fully software implementation?

Provided the latter, that means there exists an input to sign-file that
produces an invalid (shorter) signature, and it's likely we can find another
combination of key/module that also fails, and that can be made public (as
opposed to the Debian production key). I don't have the computing resources
for this, but if we're sure the reproducer exists, someone at LKML might.

Otherwise I'm afraid you might need to dig a bit deeper. :-)

--
Tomáš Janoušek, a.k.a. Pivník, a.k.a. Liskni_si, http://work.lisk.in/