On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 08:32 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 at 02:52:11 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I think you've made a good case that user namespaces are likely to be a
> > net positive for security on Debian desktop systems.
> >
> > This might not be true yet for servers that aren't container hosts.
>
> Perhaps Debian's kernel should continue to disable unprivileged creation
> of user namespaces for now, but we should have a package that installs
> a /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf fragment that will enable them, and packages
> that benefit from them (bubblewrap, web browsers, sbuild) should have
> a Depends or Recommends on that package instead of shipping a setuid-root
> namespace-creation helper?
[...]

But if users install, say, Chrome or Docker from upstream, it won't
know how to do this Debian magic.

Also, I don't think we should keep patching in
kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone forever, so the documented way to
disable user namespaces should be setting user.max_user_namespaces to
0.  But then there's no good way to have a drop-in file that changes
back to the upstream default, because that's dependent on system memory
size.

So I think we should do something like this:

* Document user.max_user_namespaces in procps's shipped
  /etc/sysctl.conf
* Set kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone to 1 by default, and deprecate
  it (log a warning if it's changed)
* Document the change in bullseye release notes

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Always try to do things in chronological order;