Hi,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 05:21:24PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 03:09:25 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I don't think we should keep patching in
> > kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone forever, so the documented way to
> > disable user namespaces should be setting user.max_user_namespaces to
> > 0.  But then there's no good way to have a drop-in file that changes
> > back to the upstream default, because that's dependent on system memory
> > size.
> >
> > So I think we should do something like this:
> >
> > * Document user.max_user_namespaces in procps's shipped
> >   /etc/sysctl.conf
> > * Set kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone to 1 by default, and deprecate
> >   it (log a warning if it's changed)
> > * Document the change in bullseye release notes
>
> Is this something you intend to do before bullseye, or is it now going
> to be after bullseye?
>
> If this is intended to happen before bullseye, I'd like enough time
> before the freeze to put an as-graceful-as-possible transition in place
> in the bubblewrap package.
>
> (I'm not sure what form that transition should take - suggestions welcome!
> Ideally I'd like bubblewrap to be setuid root if and only if we are still
> using a kernel where it needs to be.)

TBH, I think not having it enabled by default until now saved us a
couple of time from needing to release urgent fixes. It is more a gut
feeling and might not have enough weight: but having it still disabled
in bullseye by default we would be still better of from security
releases/DSA's perspectives.

Regards,
Salvatore