Hi Markus,

On Wednesday, 1 June 2022 17:22:35 CEST Markus Kolb wrote:
> Am 01.06.2022 13:34, schrieb Diederik de Haas:
> > On Wednesday, 1 June 2022 13:23:26 CEST Diederik de Haas wrote:
> >> The current version in Sid/Unstable is 5.17.11-1 and it would be
> >> useful if you could test that as well.
> >
> > In the screenshot you sent to the bug report, I saw mentions of an USB
> > hub.
> > Could you try to unplug any peripherals that are not strictly needed?
> > IOW: only attach a keyboard and monitor and see if that makes a
> > difference.
>
> I've just tested
>    linux-image-5.17.0-2-amd64            5.17.6-1+b1
> but also doesn't boot.

I was expecting 5.17.11-1, but that version does have the SATA fix from the
other bug report too. And there's another thing to focus on ...

> The computer has only attached USB mouse. The keyboard is PS/2. Next to
> this only Ethernet cable and VGA is connected.

Ok, that is fine.

> In the meantime I've built
>    linux-image-5.10.119
> from kernel.org sources and it boots successful.

... and this is VERY significant (afaict) :-)

> I've used localmodconfig while running the
>    linux-image-4.19.0-20-amd64           4.19.235-1
> and afterwards used mostly defaults for new config options but also
> deactivated many options and modules, I don't need and was quite sure
> about it, for faster build finishing.

The exact implications of this is 'above my pay grade', but hopefully one of
the kernel maintainers (who should understand this) chimes in.

> I've attached dmesg output, config and lsmod output for my 5.10.119.
> Maybe it helps to find the right patch.

Via https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/linux-config-5.10 I retrieved the
Debian kernel config for 5.10.106-1 (which is likely close enough) and compared
it with the config you attached.

The diff was *huge*, but the fact that you were able to boot your self-built
5.10 kernel while the Debian 5.10 kernel failed, points (strongly) towards a
Debian kernel configuration difference which is the cause of this bug.

I have no idea how to make any intelligent recommendations wrt kernel config
changes, so I have to defer to people 'smarter' then me (wrt this).

> Next I build 5.10.114 which is date corresponding to the 5.17.6 and see
> if I can find the version with patch with going upwards.
> Or someone already any idea what it could be? :-)

Building 5.10.113 with your custom config sounds like a good test case.
Debian's 5.10.113 didn't boot (with Debian's config), but if the (exact) same
version with a different config does work, then it seems almost certain to me
that the bug is in the Debian kernel configuration.

Cheers,
  Diederik