On Thu, 2022-06-02 at 15:42 +0200, Markus Kolb wrote:
[...]
> In the patches
>

> https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/bullseye-security/debian/patches/features/x86/intel-iommu-add-kconfig-option-to-exclude-igpu-by-default.patch
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/bullseye-security/debian/patches/features/x86/intel-iommu-add-option-to-exclude-integrated-gpu-only.patch
>
> there is introduced the kernel config option
>    INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON_INTGPU_OFF
> but it is not handled anywhere in the code.

It is handled implicitly.  When that config symbol is enabled, both
INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON and INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_OFF are disabled.

> I think you have mixed up the defaults of the configuration and settings
> of igfx_off and intgpu_off somehow which sets something up resulting in
> a wrong config for my boot. intgpu_off boot config itself doesn't change
> anything, with the Debian kernel I need igfx_off.
>
> At
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/bullseye-security/debian/patches/features/x86/intel-iommu-add-option-to-exclude-integrated-gpu-only.patch#L66
> you should compare 10 chars and not only 8, but is more or less
> correctness.

Well spotted.  This is because at some point in development I changed
the name of the option from igpu_off to intgpu_off.  The patch
description also has the earlier name.  I'll correct that.

> Maybe this
>    static int dmar_map_intgpu =
> IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON);
> at
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/bullseye-security/debian/patches/features/x86/intel-iommu-add-kconfig-option-to-exclude-igpu-by-default.patch#L74
> should be
>    static int dmar_map_intgpu =
> IS_ENABLED(INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON_INTGPU_OFF);

No, the whole point of INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON_INTGPU_OFF is to turn
that off by default while still enabling the IOMMU for other devices.

Based on the log from your self-built kernel, it seems like your system
should work with the kernel parameter "intel_iommu=on".  Can you test
whether that makes a difference with the Debian kernels?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humour is the best antidote to reality.