On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:02:05PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:24:19PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > N-117  = Mon 30 Jul 06: freeze essential toolchain, kernels
>
> Why do you put the kernel together with the essential toolchain freeze, it
> should be together with the rest of base, i believe.

the kernel is an essential piece of our release,
makes sense to have it in tune with everchanging userspace interfaces
(alsa, udev to name a few).

> > N-110  = Mon  7 Aug 06: freeze base, non-essential toolchain (including
> >                         e.g. cdbs)
> > N-105  = Mon 14 Aug 06: d-i RC [directly after base freeze]
> > N-45   = Wed 18 Oct 06: general freeze [about 2 months after base
> >                         freeze, d-i RC]
> > N      = Mon  4 Dec 06: release [1.5 months for the general freeze]
>
> We will have a kernel which is outdated by two versions at release time with
> this plan, since there are about 1 kernel upstream release every 2 month.

we had the chance for sarge, but we weren't ready.
for etch we will work for our best to be ready.

please don't rush out such mails without consensual position.

--
maks