On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:26:57PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:35:56AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>         What architecture line are we talking about here? Is there a
> >>  bug report number I can refer to to refresh my memory on this issue?

> >>         Again, what is broken about EXTRAVERSION? Which bug reports
> >>  are we talking about?

> >>         I'd be happy to look at why bits of the build process take
> >>  longer than a raw build without make-kpkg -- which bug number was
> >>  this reported under?
> >
> > Manoj, you see, this is part of the problem. Nearer integration of the
> > kernel-package maintainer and kernel team, or you being part of the kernel
> > team, doesn't necessarily mean communicating via bug reports.
>
> What's wrong with filing bugreports?
>
> You seem to argue that keeping record of bugs is wrong is replaceable
> with coordination on a mailinglist, spiced up with IRC conversations.

Nope, i am saying that if the only communication channel between such
important pieces of related debian infrastructure like the linux kernel
package and the kernel-package package is plain wrong.

> I disagree.
>
> Teaming up is great, but does not replace the core routines in Debian.
> It just glues them better together. IMHO.

Teaming up is all about communication.

If some guys want to play it solo for such inter-related packages, that is a
problem. I agree that this problem exists on both side in this case, but
Bastian is at least part of the team.

And bug reports are only so useful as the maintainers make them, as you well
know, who left a pretty damaging RC bug open for months, rejected help in
investigating it, and highly contributed to the near-desintegration of the
kernel team in march by such behaviour (of which i also contributed i admit).

Friendly,

Sven Luther