Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 17:33 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Bastian Blank <wa...@debian.org> writes:

>> > The -amd64 kernel in i386 arch is some sort of upgrade tool. With
>> > multi-arch it gets easier. Either the machine can run 64bit code, than
>> > it is irrelevant what packages are installed from which arch. Or it
>> > can't, then you don't need the amd64 kernel in the first place.
>> >
>> > Bastian
>>
>> Actualy that raises an interesting point:
>>
>> If there is no 64bit kernel in i386 then you can not safely enable
>> multiarch to install amd64 packages (in general, kernel my just
>> work). It is kind of a prerequisite.
>
> By the same argument you can't ever enable any foreign architecture.
> This is nonsense.
>
> Ben.

Why? I can install qemu-user-static and my system will be able to
execute e.g. armel code.

On the other hand installing linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64:amd64 would pull
in for example module-init-tools:amd64, making it impossible to
load/remove modules on the running system or reboot with a 32bit kernel.

MfG
        Goswin