Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:30:47PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:

>> > By the same argument you can't ever enable any foreign architecture.
>> > This is nonsense.
>> >
>> > Ben.
>>
>> Why? I can install qemu-user-static and my system will be able to
>> execute e.g. armel code.
>>
>> On the other hand installing linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64:amd64 would pull
>> in for example module-init-tools:amd64, making it impossible to
>> load/remove modules on the running system or reboot with a 32bit kernel.
>
> Currently linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64:amd64 is effectively uninstallable
> on i386 since various other packages depend on module-init-tools:i386.
> However, once #649437 is fixed, module-init-tools:i386 (or rather
> kmod:i386) will satisfy the dependency.
>
> Since dpkg will prefer to install packages from the native
> architecture, I don't see any problem here.  I suppose I'm biased by
> having actually tested this.
>
> Ben.

But it is only a preference, not a garanty. With aptitude even pining is
just taken as advisement. So there will always be a risk of amd64
packages getting pulled in before the user reboots into a 64bit
kernel. As I said, not safe.

Are you sure you can get all the bugs fixed and the package and
multiarch properly tested so wheezy can rely on it for something as
essential as the kernel?

MfG
        Goswin