Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2019-09-10 at 20:21 +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
[snip]

> I don't know exactly what cdrom-detect does, but it may still be
> specific to optical drives.  In that case you could use more specific
> terms here, e.g. "The optical disc drive contains a disc which cannot
> be used for installation."
>
> Otherwise a suitable new text could be something like "The detected
> drive does not contain a usable installation disk".

More generally, maybe "The selected/detected source is not valid
installation media", plus an error like "missing metadata|corrupt
media|unreachable host|wrong suite/release/Debian version|et al"?

BTW, I've always found that the strings in Debian Installer were
sensible, going all the way back to installation from sets of cdroms or
floppies, so everyone's doing a great job! :-)

Cheers,
Nicholas