Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
On Sat, 2005-15-01 at 00:20 +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:

less eclipse

That doesn't make eclipse a derived work of less.

Of course not.  less is a filter-like program.  It takes its input,
then displays it on screen as output.

So is any interpreter.

But Kaffe compiles the bytecode into native code that uses purely GPLed
functions from inside Kaffe.  Will you tell me that it isn't so?

Kaffe is not a compiler. It does not generate output. What the just in time compiler does internaly with its data within the memory of Kaffe's process is irrelevant, as you can not violate the GPL of Kaffe by the act running it. That's what the GPL says. Read the fine license.

Well, well.  So you've eaten 100USD and we're supposed to prove you did?

We really do not have to ! We all _know_ it.

You're the one making assertions that people are doing illegal things. If they are doing illegal things, then you should be able to prove it. You are not able to prove anything, though, becuase there is nothing illegal ever happening.

This starts to feel like 'Les Miserables'.

It is enough to take a look at the Build-depends of Eclipse package, to
know the licenses and to realize that these two inherently incompatibly
licensed parts of code have been combined into one work.  Once we know
it, we know they cannot be distributed legally.

You do not understand neither the GPL nor copyright law as has been thoroughly explained in this thread to you. Just because a program build-depends on python, bash or any GPLd interpreter, does not automatically make the program a derivative work of that interpreter.

In Debian it's *that* simple!

It's only that simple if your business plan is to

1) write a cute interpreter
2) spread FUD about GPL and GPLd interpreters to attract external funding to your non-GPLd one
3) profit

;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]