On 2003-08-29 18:57:16 +0100 Mathieu Roy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Can't your mailer delete duplicate?

Yes.

I do not want to be guessing
whether the person I'm replying to subscribed to the list each time I
send a mail to the list.

You do not have to. Read the code of conduct. You also know that I read this list.

[...]
I disagree.  I think editing a book in all its many ways is the most
interesting thing, not describing and analysing it. Do you learn more
when you edit something, or when you read it?
Definitely when I read it. [...]

Oh well, then you are different to me in another way. ;-) I can't find a source for the quotes that run something like "I see and I read, I hear and I listen, I do and I understand" and "you only really learn a topic when you have to teach it."

[...]
Sure, normally we only speak of software because with the books it's
not really a big deal.

Nah, normally we only speak of software because that's been practical for longer and it's nearly 20 years since a great man created a foundation promoting it. OK, he doesn't consider it important for all creative works, but I do. My choice.

If someone explains you what is free software, do you need to be
granted to reuse his speech? You don't: if you understand him, you can
regive his speech at the infinite.

If I want to actually "reuse his speech" in either the sense of a recording or his exact wording, then techically I do need to be granted that permission. I can give my own speech based on the ideas (normally), but I cannot regive his speech.

If we were about to make a license for everything, speeches would be
licensed too...

Ah, but they are. Go look at the licences on http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html and the texts of speeches on http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html#Speeches for examples.