There wasn't supposed to be a link to the Debian web site on
www.gnu.org, because it lists non-free software packages.  Except in
the Free Software Directory, we do not link to sites that specifically
suggest the use of any non-free program, or that say how to get a copy
of one.

This policy has existed as long as our web site.  The links to such
sites were mistakes; I found out about them as a result of the recent
discussion, but the removal of these links has nothing to do with
that; we are just following our policy.  If you find anything on
www.gnu.org that doesn't follow this policy, please report it to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We sometimes mention well-known non-free programs and systems in
passing, for instance in order to encourage and help people to use
free software with them.  The mention of Windows, VMS and BeOS should
go no further than that.  This applies also to mostly-free systems: we
mention sometimes in order to encourage and help people to use free
software with them.