On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:23:02PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Nathanael Nerode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> You could look at it that way. On the other hand, if I release my
> >> GPLed code under 3(b) then anyone who receives it can pass on the offer
> >> I gave them (under 3(c)). I am then obliged to pass on my modifications
> >> directly to people who I never provided binaries to. Is distribution
> >> under 3(b) and 3(c) non-free?
> >
> >If those were the only options, it was the loose consensus that that would
> >not be free.
>
> Really? Wow. That's insane.

Could you please explain "that's insane"?  It seems simple and noncontroversial
that a free license can be non-free if certain key permissions are removed.

(Without GPL3a, if I make any distribution of GPL code, I must archive that
source for at least three years, which seems obviously non-free.)

--
Glenn Maynard