On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Martin Dickopp wrote:
> > * JPL/Caltech contractors and vendors who wish to use JPL images in
> > advertising or public relation materials should direct requests to the
> > Television/Imaging Team Leader, Media Relations Office, Mail Stop 186-120,
> > Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA 91109, telephone (818) 354-5011, fax
> > (818) 354-4537.
> Most likely I'm missing something obvious, but could clarify why you
> consider the above DFSG-free?  It seems to me that it discriminates
> against a group (JPL/Caltech contractors) and against a field of
> endeavor (advertising/public relations), both of which would have to
> contact JPL before they can use the images.

The way I read this license, an earlier paragraph prohibits use of the images
to imply endorsement by NASA (This is DFSG-free because it prohibits something
which isn't allowed anyway.)  The paragraph about the JPL contractors is
an exception which grants extra permission--normally you can't use images this
way at all, but if you're a contractor, you can do so by asking.

It is worded badly.  Instead of saying "contractors who wish to use JPL
images in ways that imply NASA endorsement should..." it uses the generic
phrase "in advertising".  It appears to have been written under the assumption
that using the images in advertising automatically implies NASA endorsement.
The way it's worded isn't DFSG-free, but I don't think they really meant to
give non-contractors more rights than contractors.  Someone (not me) probably
should ask them what they really meant.

The license also says that the person who downloads the images from the web
site agrees, blah blah.  Going by the literal wording of this license, only
the person who downloads the images has to abide by those terms.  He can then
give the images to someone else and that person would not have to follow the
terms.  I don't think they could have meant that either.