On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 08:37:13PM +0000, Jim Marhaus wrote:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
>
> > Why do you think *real* lawyers seem to be okay with such clauses?
>
> Sometimes parties in a uniformly constructed contract agree to a particular
> venue, perhaps because both are qualified to practice law there. In a free
> software license or commercial EULA however, the licensee is not at liberty to
> negotiate, so the venue clause is wholly to the advantage of the licensor. In
> review of section 2B-108 in UCITA, the American Law Institute describes the
> exercise of such unilateral forum clauses as a "perversion of the notions of
> freedom of contract":

[snip]

Mr. Marhaus:

I'm afraid your response was far too scholarly and informed to be taken
seriously by anyone who feels that choice-of-law or -venue clauses are just
fine by the DFSG.

Must you insist on embarrassing people?

(Pbatenghyngvbaf, lbh unir pbeerpgyl vasreerq gur fnepnfgvp angher bs guvf
cbfg. ;-) )

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     It's not a matter of alienating
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     authors.  They have every right to