Arnoud Engelfriet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The FSF makes very similar claims without additional context
> in their GPL FAQ:
>
>    Q: If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does
>    that mean that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
>
>    A: Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the
>    library.
>    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

That doesn't fit any meaning of include that I'm aware of.  The
program and the library are sitting next to each other in the same
address space.  That doesn't make one of the include the other.
Suppose a library allocates some shared memory that is accessed by all
processes using that library (many examples exist).  Does that make
all programs using this library "include" each other, since they
partially share address space?

>    Q: You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to
>    build a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your
>    program mean I have to GPL my program?
>
>    A: Yes.
>    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

I guess you all know what I think the GPL FAQ is a load of.

--
Måns Rullgård
[EMAIL PROTECTED]