This one time, at band camp, George Danchev said:
> On Monday 05 June 2006 13:28, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Jacobo Tarrio said:
> > > El lunes,  5 de junio de 2006 a las 19:39:46 +1000, Andrew Donnellan
> escribĂ­a:
> > >
> > >  It says applicable laws, including US export laws. That's: applicable
> > > laws, and, in addition to them, US export laws. If I live in the EU, US
> > > export laws are not applicable laws to me, but per the license, I'd have
> > > to comply anyway.
> >
> > I think you're misparsing what includes means.  Includes indicates a
> > subset, rather than an addition.  The list of numbers 1 .. 4 includes 2.
> > It is a nonsense statement to say, the list 1 ..4, including 5.
>
> It is there, no matter being additive or not:

Of course.  Maybe I wasn't clear, so I'll try to be more clear this time
around.

It says (broken down into more discreet grammtaical elements)

You shall comply with all applicable laws (list 1 .. 4), including but
not just element 2.

If the the applicable laws in your country don't include element 2, this
is a nonsense statement.

If it said instead: "You must comply with all applicable laws of your
country, including the Sharia", do you think it means that in countries
that don't follow the Sharia, you would be forced to?  Do you think a
license can ever force you to follow laws that have no jurisdiction?

> Having that said, I believe US export and import control laws are not even
> applicable in some jurisdictions, but could be enforced epspecially if
> bipartite agreements exist between the involved jurisdictions.

Yes, exactly.  This means that the sentence boils down to roughly,
'you have to not break the law for your jurisdiction'.  Well, that's
hardly non-free.
|  : :' :                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |