On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 12:17:00AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> +         file.  Packages should not refer to GPL and LGPL symlinks in
> +         that directory since different, incompatible versions of these
> +         licenses have been published by the Free Software Foundation,
> +         hence using the symlinks could lead to ambiguity.
>
> I disagree with this. It should be ok to point to the latest version
> of the GPL if the program says "Version X or later". Many programs
> do that, and we should not need to change them.
>
> Instead, I think we should amend policy in this way:
>
>   Packages under a fixed, definite version of the GPL should refer to
>   the versioned GPL file in /usr/share/common-licenses.

Good idea.  Should we also specify that referring to the unversioned GPL
is for programs that say "Version X or later" ?  I think this is not obvious.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.